Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Epic Day!



 Where do I begin? Thankfully, the forecast swells and wind did not arrive today.  The morning started with a great sunrise and just got better from there.  Bright sunshine gave us fantastic light and the sea was calm with a series of long rolling swells.  Action in the morning was quiet.  Unfortunately there is no "How to Shoot Photos of Blue Marlin" handbook.  It's very much of a "what if we do this or what if we try that?" kind of game.  The first fish we raised was a disaster.  It attacked the right squid chain after smashing up the right long.  The crew called it as I got ready.  I jumped in and saw nothing, but as I spun around just passing the long teaser I saw the blue hiding in the prop wash.  He seemed to understand that I couldn't get a clean shot of him in there.  Seconds later he was gone.  It was over before it had even begun.
 
We went into a post-play huddle to work out what had gone wrong.  With a few adjustments to the play book the next blue presented itself an hour later.  This time we were on the money.  As I got in the water right behind the squid chain was a blue bearing down on me like a freight train.  This fish and I were on a collision course and it was making no signs of changing his mind. There I was playing chicken with a blue marlin.  I held on to the camera, pulled the shutter release, and waited for the bang!  He just missed hitting me and disappeared after the teaser.  I checked the LCD display, and I had it!!!   As I swam back to the boat I was joined by a bull shark who followed me, getting closer.  I would turn and he'd move away but was straight back on my heels the moment I turned my back.  
 
Back at the boat the guys were still playing with the marlin.  He was climbing all over a hookless teaser Tommy was casting to him and would alternate hits with the squid chain still hanging from the teaser.  I arrived back just in time to watch him swim away all lit up in luminous hues of blue.

I think we're starting to get the hang of this and will be back out tomorrow to try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment