Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sailfish in Isla Mujeres

Well, it's that time of year again. As gail force winds drive freezing rain against the window of my office in Morehead City, North Carolina, my floor is awash in camera housings, strobes, chargers etc, etc. It's winter which means one thing, the sailfish are balling bait off the island of Isla Mujeres on the Caribbean side of Mexico. It's never a given, powerful winter weather makes finding a bait ball and getting in with it far from guaranteed. Never the less you have to watch the weather, try and find a window and let the chips fall were they may.

I leave Morehead City tomorrow morning at around 4:30 AM to run a few errands in Raleigh and make a midday flight to Cancun from where I will catch a ferry across to the island. I'm in Isla as a guest of a good friend, Doug Wall, on his private boat a 45' Viking sportfisher named Fish n' Fool. Doug invited me back this year after a very successful trip last year. It's good to have friends in low places, low latitudes that is. I'll be going out with Doug's captain Larry "the switch" Toma and mate George, a formidable fishing team on a formidable fishing machine.

While I'm in Isla I will be updating my blog daily with news happenings and a behind the scenes look at what it takes to try and get the shot. You will also be able to track me from early tomorrow morning with my Spot GPS tracker that sends a signal every 10 minutes to a satellite which updates on this web page. The Spot technology will allow you to see exactly where we are working in real time. You can subscribe to my blog (click on the "follow" button on the top tool bar)or just keep checking back here for updates. There is also a link to the Spot in the tool bar on the right of this page called "GPS Tracking Map". I look forward to your comments.

Thats all for now, see you on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment