Thursday, July 1, 2010

Clicking through the blues and white!



Blue Marlin Video
I've been slow posting for the last two days because of an almost non-existent wireless signal at the marina.  However I'm now back.  I've figured out that it's much better to make my way from the boat to the yacht club bar area where the signal seems to be strongest.

Wednesday was one of the best fishing days I've had without even seeing a fish. The Click Through crew have dived right in and are incredible in trying to help with my impossible shot of a free swimming blue.  On Wednesday we decided as a group to start at the bottom and test a few "there is no way" techniques to cross them off the "this is how we did it" list.  At one stage I thought we needed a film crew from Jack Ass to get me jumping overboard doing 8 kts with a 15-pound housing in my hands and then trying to find the raised fish in the prop wash.  Doing the calculations, the marlin is traveling at probably somewhere around 20 kts to catch the teaser which is traveling around 8 kts.  Once I jump in and come to an instant stop, that pointy fish comes out of the cavitation clouds VERY quickly...oops!

After yesterday, we are now becoming a well-oiled machine.  If this works it's because of the team.  I find myself part of a practiced crew.  That said, there are a few people on board still getting used to the fact that we are pulling hookless lures through these marlin rich waters.


Today we woke up to rain and clouds.  It's not the time to waste a less than perfect photo environment on a "hookless" experiment.  Instead, we put the hooks back and shot some VIDEO plus a few stills.  We started with a blue marlin this morning followed by my first white marlin underwater, both released (above: Courtney Stanley releases a white marlin).  The afternoon saw a nice blue dropped and half a dozen tire-kicking white marlin tugs at the big lures.  All of course good training for the first tournament starting Saturday (I had dates mixed up in a previous post).  All in all, a good day!


No comments:

Post a Comment